I’ve been getting asked a lot about my hair – such as what products I put in it – and if I have done the Keratin Complex Treatment by Coppola again. So in the best way I can – I will give you a to-the-point run down on my curly-hair dos.
1. I use to “chemically relax” my hair back when I was in middle school and high school. The day my hair started breaking was when I decided that enough was enough. It took me years to grow out the relaxer. To give you an idea – the last time I relaxed my hair was in my senior year of high school. I finally grew it all out in my last year of college (4-years later).
2. I did do the “Keratin Complex Treatment by Coppola” a couple years ago – why? To “nourish” my damaged hair, “lessen” the amount of frizz and “relax” my tight curls in the healthiest way. In the end – it did heal my hair – I saw some improvement on the frizz, but it made my hair very wavy – which was devastating to me, because believe it or not, I missed my curls. Yet, as opposed to the relaxer – the treatment washed out versus growing out, so I got my full curls back in 4 months. Safe to say that I won’t be doing any more chemical treatments to my hair. Ever.
3. I have heard that getting the Keratin Treatment done a second time is damaging to one’s hair. HOWEVER, my mom has gotten the treatment twice and her hair is A. wavy B. less frizzy and C. very healthy.
4. My hair now is very, very curly. Tight curls and at times frizzy. But honestly, there is nothing out there that will cure frizz. I don’t care what a product promises – believe me I’ve tried them all – and nothing works. So I deal.
5. Sure there are times I hate my hair – like yesterday when it frizzed because of the rain. And yes, I sometimes wish I had straight hair – BUT I’ve learned to love my curls, because without them – I wouldn’t be myself.
My Curly-Hair-DO Products:
1. I use DEVAConcepts products: DevaCurl No-Poo Cleanser, DevaCurl One Condition and DevaCurl AnGEL. I also apply Garnier Fructis Leave-In-Conditioner Sleek & Shine prior to putting the AnGEL product in my hair.
2. After I shampoo, condition, comb (from ENDS to scalp), I towel dry my hair. I know I shouldn’t do that because apparently that makes my hair frizz even more – but I cannot stand wet hair. Also, I’ve tried the whole “no towel-dry” technique and surprise – my hair was still frizzy upon drying.
3. I’m still working on finding the perfect “hair-cut.” I got the DEVA-Cut a couple weeks ago, but I didn’t see a big difference. The DEVA-cut entails of cutting your hair with special techniques, such as cutting hair while dry and without a comb. You can find a salon near you that specializes in cutting curly hair the DEVA way.
4. This may be obvious, but just as a warning: DO NOT CUT YOUR OWN HAIR. Trust me – I recently had the smart idea to “trim” my ends and and I’m embarrassed to say that I took it too far and now my hair is slightly..uneven. With curls, an inch is like 2 inches. Fail.
If you have any curly-hair questions – please feel free to write me!