I finally watched Dear John today.
I will admit that I cried. But not as much as I did after reading the book.
So what did I think of the movie? Well I had a lot of mixed emotions – mostly dumbfounded – especially at the end.
1. It didn’t follow the book sequence 100% – which is expected of course – but some parts of the movie were drastically altered such as . .
2. The ending. The ending was changed and gave viewers a glimpse at the possibility of what might have happened between the two lovers. Which I’m not so happy about. According to MSN, Sparks’ original ending did not sit well with executives, claiming that “audiences would want to see the couple have a chance at being together.” So they made some last-minute changes to appeal to the audience. Figures.
3. Savannah and Tim – slightly disturbing.
4. Regardless of the changes, I still enjoyed the movie and it still broke my heart.
5. Channing Tatum – in my opinion – was compelling. Especially at the emotional parts – ie: The hospital scene with his father. I was sobbing at that point.
Would I see it again? Well, it’s no Notebook, but then again I’m a sucker for love stories, so I’ll probably buy it when it comes out on DVD.